ONE HUNDRED DAYS is an international competition for emerging artists organized and sponsored by Contaminate NYC. The competition is open to artists working within the realm of Visual and Installation Art, including sculpture, installation, painting, photography, design, and illustration.
Contaminate NYC is a creative enterprise that aims to be an integral tool for cultural growth, social change, and engagement. We believe that the performing, visual, and literary arts can be highly effective in posing solutions to our biggest global challenges.
For this first edition of ONE HUNDRED DAYS, artists are asked to create a visual or installation project aimed at raising awareness about Sustainability Issues, demonstrating the creative potential of fine arts with regards to environmental, social, and economic issues and the potential role of art in a much needed societal transformation.
We believe in the need to create imagery that ultimately hits the public consciousness with the seriousness of climate change, and its impact into our lives, and the need for a systemic shift in our economic and industrial model. Artists are challenged to awake the collective moral imagination so the general public can begin to comprehend the change that will be forced upon us if we don’t take action now.
Three different tracks will be available for artists, based on the three pillars that commonly define the framework of sustainability:
- Environmental: Submissions focus on the study and awareness of creative interactions between people and their natural and built environments and on the protection of the planet and its limited resources from exploitation and neglect.
- Social: Submissions should explore social, political, and psychological dimensions of sustainability, including ethical issues related to human inequality, social injustice, and poverty.
- Economic and political: Submissions should explore the need and viability of a sustainable economic model that provides fair distribution and efficient allocation of our resources, ensuring that our economic growth maintains a healthy balance with our ecosystem.
Artists will have to choose one of the tracks and submit a project/work for the selected category.
- Three juror-selected winners will have the opportunity to showcase their work in three cultural institutions and high-end fashion showrooms in New York City. Each artist will be featured in a solo-show lasting 33 days for a total of 99 days of exhibition plus a one day party opening to launch this first 100days series.
- They will also be granted a round-trip to New York City and a three-night stay to attend the opening of their exhibition.
- The top 15 finalists’ works will be published in a limited-edition catalog including critical text by jurors and curators.
- Additional prizes will be available based on sponsorship.